Thursday, February 24, 2011

We had a rough couple of days to say the least…


…and actually, do to the public nature of this whole, blog, thing, I am going to spare everyone the hairy details.  This really isn’t an appropriate forum for that kind of thing anyway. 

There is always a risk in cardiac surgery.  Things do not always go according to plan.  Challenges happen, the unforeseen happens, and sadly, the unfortunate as well. 

But, I am truly proud and grateful to have had this opportunity to work with such a remarkable team full of very capable and dedicated people.  I have learned so much this trip…especially during a particularly pivotal 72 hours.  And now I have this new threshold for what I know I can handle.  And that at least brings a certain degree of satisfaction. 

Learning.  Challenging myself.  Gaining intimate knowledge about the edge of my own abilities. 

These are reoccurring themes that I often write about and ponder…publicly as well as privately.  

And despite all the heartache, I am glad to say that they continue to be important themes central to...me.

The majority of the team leaves tonight.  Most are going home, and three will continue on to Sulaymaniah.  I will remain here in Nasiriyah with my friend and colleague, Dr. Pasha where we will attend to the children who remain in the ICU until we are able to join the rest of the team up north. 

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment