Saturday, February 18, 2012

I had forgotten about the random power outages here….

…you will be typing away on your computer or sitting at the table at dinner and the lights will just go out. Usually it only lasts for a minute or two, and in the evening there is a conversion from electricity to generator power that creates a moment of darkness while that transition occurs.

Sometimes it lasts a little longer…like right now. I was about to post a few entries to the blog but no power means no internet, which means no blog posting and instead more writing until my battery dies.

But as I mentioned previously, I had totally forgotten about this detail of living and working in Iraq. I don’t know if I had the subconscious idea that since the war is over, normalcy would have been magically restored to the region and things like electricity would be available in a manner that we in the states are accustomed to.
Before I left, my partner Nate asked me if I had packed my headlamp. I sort of scoffed at the idea that I would need it, thinking that it wasn’t like I was going camping or anything. I brought it only because he insisted I take it and it was a point that hardly seemed arguing.

The minute the lights went out the first night I was here I was thankful that he had been so insistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment